Monday, February 13, 2012

Bleary Eyed

It's the 14th so I'm probably supposed to acknowledge Valentine's Day in some way but like... that was it. That's my acknowledgment of it out of the way. I've never had a boyfriend over Valentine's Day and I really don't care about it. I'm not even going out of the way to ~treat myself~ today. I'm a busy girl, man. I have work to do, routines to stick to, tea to drink etc.

The first deadline for my dissertation is coming up next week: a 2,000 word extract we have to hand in next Thursday. The writing process is fairly stressful above all because it goes against my regular working habits of doing all of the reading and all of the research first and then writing. That's just not possible when you're doing a big research project but the temptation is still there.

At the moment I'm reading the NBA honoured 9/11 Commission Report (Norton, 2011 edition) and it's fascinating, sad and a little scary. Reading it really provides me with a sense of how the amount of information we're collecting (both as countries and as individuals) is overwhelming us and it's even more necessary than it has ever been to have structures in place to support that information overload. What kind of frameworks do we build to collect and process the information? Most importantly, who do we trust with this information? There's the rub etc.

It's 8am and I've been awake for two hours, mainly reading but also persuading myself to get out of bed (at the time of writing this I've been out of bed for an hour and sitting in this coffee shop). I should probably stop procrastinating and get back to work.

Listening to: Whatever the weird song they're playing in this coffee shop is by Peculiar Music Artist
Book I just finished: Brendon Chase by B.B and Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Chicago 21st: £224.00 (eep. need to get saving. Although for a number of reasons it's technically + £188 but I'm waiting for it to come through etc. It would be nice to bring it up to £412)

3 comments:

  1. I love this type of informative blog very much.
    Nice effort. Keep it on with this type of post......
    Research Paper Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever read Suheir Hammad's (think that is how you spell it),"First writing SInce". It is stunning and has to do with 9/11. I wonder what you think about Spoken Word Poetry, I've just been exposed to it in my Poetry class and I love it. Well good luck with your writing!! and remember to come up for air every once in awhile! http://dreamershome.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who do we trust with this information?... Now, that is a good question!!

    ReplyDelete